· Two of the MLB’s premiere pitchers faced off against each other on Wednesday. Los Angeles Dodgers lefty Clayton Kershaw, and Washington Nationals righty Stephen Strasburg went head-to-head in Dodger stadium. This is the first time both have faced each other in their careers. Kershaw won the first battle, only throwing a three-hitter in seven innings against the Nationals. It was a big win for Los Angeles as they avoided the sweep. Both pitchers had a similar game in some regards. Strasburg had eight strikeouts in six innings, and Kershaw had nine in seven innings. The loss brings Strasburg to 7-2, while the win makes Kershaw 8-2. In his career, he is 12-2 all-time against Washington.
News and Notes
· C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that the Cincinnati Reds have reached an agreement with Cuban shortstop, Jose Israel Garcia. He will make a bonus of $5MM.
· Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports that the Atlanta Braves will promote top lefty prospect Sean Newcomb.
· According to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, the Tampa Bay Rays will not DFA utilityman Michael Martinez. It was originally reported that he was DFA on Tuesday.
· According to Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com, the St. Louis Cardinals have signed Cuban righty Hector Mendoza to a minor-league deal. He will receive a $500K signing bonus
· The MLB is investigating allegations against Tampa Bay Rays catcher Derek Norris of “emotional and physical “ abuse against his ex-girlfriend.
· Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Baltimore Orioles have selected the contract of veteran righty Edwin Jackson. In order to make the room, the Orioles demoted lefty Donnie Hart to Triple-A Norfolk.
· According to Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times, the Seattle Mariners have signed infielder Jean Segura to a five-year extension. He will receive a $3MM signing bonus, $9MM next season, and a total of $14.3 MM until 2022.
· The Pittsburgh Pirates have placed catcher Francisco Cervelli on the seven-day concussion DL. In order to fill the roster spot, the Pirates selected the contract of fellow catcher, Jacob Stallings.
· The Milwaukee Brewers have placed righty Matt Garza on the 10-day DL with a chest contustion.
· According to Phil Miller of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the Minnesota Twins have righty Christ Heston off waivers from the Los Angeles Dodgers. In order to make room, the Twins DFA’d righty Nick Tepesch. They have also placed lefty Hector Santiago on the 10-day DL with a shoulder strain.
· Jim Salisbury of CSNPhlly.com reports that the Philadelphia Phillies have DFA’d lefty Joely Rodriguez.
· According to J.P. Hoornstra of the Orange County Register, Los Angeles Dodgers righty Kenta Maeda will be demoted to the bullpen when righty Alex Wood returns from the DL.
· Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that the Texas Rangers will recall Jurickson Profar from Triple-A with Adrian Beltre potentially headed back to the DL after hurting his ankle.
· According to Greg Johns of MLB.com, Seattle Mariners DH/first baseman Nelson Cruz received an MRI on his right calf on Wednesday. Skipper Scott Servais only expects him to miss a “day or two.”