Around the Farm takes a quick look at some of yesterday’s performances by Cleveland prospects throughout the system. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in yesterday’s game.
Shawn Morimando (Columbus, SP) – W (5-5), 9 IP, 5 H, 3 BB, 2 K – Morimando continued an impressive June by pitching a complete game shutout on Thursday night. Besides being Shawn’s first career shutout at any professional level, it extended his streak of solid outings to three, beginning with his first start of this month. In those three starts, Morimando has allowed a combined two earned runs on 18 hits and six walks with 13 strikeouts in 22.2 innings pitched (0/79 ERA and 1.06 WHIP). If he can keep pitching this well at the Triple-A level, he will likely earn another chance at the major leagues.
- Eric Stamets (Columbus, SS) – 2-4, 1 R, 2 2B, 1 RBI – Stamets has hit safely in ten of his last eleven games and has six multi-hit games and a .463 (19-for-41) batting during that stretch.
- Richie Shaffer (Columbus, LF) – 1-3, 2 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 HBP – Shaffer’s sixth-inning solo shot was his 14th home run of the season and extended his hitting streak to six games.
- Chris Colabello (Columbus, DH) – 1-3, 2 R, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K – Colabello broke out of an eight-game 0-for-22 (three of his appearances consisted of one at-bat or none) slump with a three-run homer in the first inning, his sixth homer of the season and his first hit since June 3 at Syracuse (Nationals).
- Todd Hankins (Columbus, CF) – 1-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 3 RBI – Hankins also hit a three-run home, this one in the bottom of the sixth frame. It was the first of his Triple-A career (28 games in three seasons).
- Bobby Bradley (Akron, 1B) – 2-4, 1 R, 1 RBI – Bradley reached base on a fielding error to start the RubberDucks’ eighth-inning comeback and had two hits to make it four multi-hit games in his last ten.
- Eric Haase (Akron, C) – 2-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 1 K – Haase came to the plate next and homered, scoring himself and Bradley to give the RubberDucks a lead they would not relinquish.
- Yu-Cheng Chang (Akron, SS) – 1-3, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 BB, 1 K – Chang was the lone RubberDuck to score twice in yesterday’s game and now has four multi-hit games in his last nine.
- Luis Lugo (Akron, SP) – ND, 6 IP, 8 H, 3 R (all earned), 2 BB, 4 K, 1 HR allowed – Lugo rebounded from allowing six earned runs on nine hits in five innings pitched in his previous outing with a solid effort on Thursday night.
- Robbie Aviles (Akron, RP) – W (2-1), 2 IP, 4 H, 1 R (earned), 1 K, 1 BK – Aviles also rebounded from a rough outing his last time out (2 ER on 3 H in 2 IP), in his case with a well-deserved relief win.
- Cameron Hill (Akron ,CP) – S (2), 1 IP, 2 H – Hill has converted both of his save opportunities this season.
- Yonathan Mendoza (Lynchburg, 2B) – 1-4, 1 RBI – Mendoza drove in the lone Hillcat run of the game and ended a three-game hitless streak with his ninth-inning RBI single in the ballgame’s second-to-last plate appearance.
- Jodd Carter (Lynchburg, CF) – Carter ended an even longer hitless streak (seven games) with a fifth-inning single.
- Brock Hartson (Lynchburg, SP) – L (2-3), 7 IP, 5 H, 3 R (all earned), 4 K – Not a great outing by Hartson, but the loss falls on the shoulders of the anemic offense, not Brock.
- Jared Robinson (Lynchbuirg, RP) – 1 IP, 1 H – Robinson has allowed no earned runs in his last three outings (4.2 IP).
- Gavin Collins (Lake County, 3B) – 1-3, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 BB – Collins has scored two runs in each of his last two games.
- Emmanuel Tapia (Lake County, 1B) – 2-4, 1 R, 1 2B, 3 RBI, 1 K – Tapia extended his hitting streak to three games with multiple hits in his two most recent appearances and has two three-RBI efforts in his last five games.
- Jose Medina (Lake County, LF) – 2-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI – Medina’s first multi-hit game since being activated from the 7-day DL at the start of the month saw him equal his RBI total from his last 14 games.
- Brady Aiken (Lake County, SP) – ND, 5.2 IP, 6 H, 2 R (both earned), 4 BB, 7 K, 1 BK – Aiken continues to allow 2-3 earned runs per outing (each of his last eight starts has seen him allow either two or three earned runs).
- Justin Garza (Lake County, RP) – W (2-2), 3.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R (earned), 2 BB, 4 K, 1 HR allowed, 1 HBP – Garza allowed his only earned run in his last three outings (8.1 innings pitched, 1.08 ERA) on a sixth-inning home run.