“League Digest” is a new addition to the Smoke Signals podcast network where Jake Dungan and Jamie Dillon discuss the latest news and notes from the world of Major League Baseball.
With no podcast last week, Jake and Jamie are forced to play catch-up recapping the top headlines from the last two weeks as they talk everything from the Cubs demoting struggling slugger Kyle Schwarber to the minors to the Hall of Fame denying Pete Rose’s appeal to appear on the ballot. Get takes on all that and more in more of a quick-fire fashion in this week’s episode of the League Digest.
- MLB announces “Players Weekend” on August 25-27 where players will be allowed to wear their nicknames on their jerseys.
- Cubs demote struggling Kyle Schwarber to Triple-A.
- Indians and Twins to play two-game series in Puerto Rico next April 17-18.
- Triple crown races: Aaron Judge and Ryan Zimmerman. Could one or both happen this year?
- June Swoon? – New York Yankees have lost 8 of last 10. Now tied with Boston for AL East lead.
- Yankees top prospect Gleyber Torres to undergo Tommy John surgery. Expected to be ready by spring training next year.
- Orioles give up 5+ runs for 20th straight game, tying 1924 Phillies for longest streak ever.
- Nolan Arenado completes cycle with walk-off homer.
- Nationals owners allegedly nixed deals for Greg Holland and David Robertson in the offseason, despite both being agreed upon, per Washington post report.
- Matt Harvey to miss several weeks with stress injury in shoulder; Zack Wheeler placed on DL with biceps tendinitis.
- Hall of Fame board of directors upholds lifetime ban on Pete Rose.
- Tigers release former closer Francisco Rodriguez.
- Braves reportedly looking into having Freddie Freeman play 3rd base upon return.
- Angels and Mike Trout reportedly discussed “lifetime contract” (14-15 years) prior to signing 6-year, $144.5 million deal.
– Trivia question.
– This week in baseball history.
Please subscribe to our show on iTunes and feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet us @SmokeSignalsIBI with any feedback, suggestions or ideas for the podcast. Also be sure to follow us on Twitter @JakeDBaseball and @jdillon330.Thanks again for listening!