Boston Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia went hitless in his return to the lineup Thursday in a 3-0 loss to the New York Yankees.

Batting in the leadoff spot, he went 0-for-4 with a strikeout.

Pedroia had missed Boston’s past three games because of a sore left knee and ankle. He suffered the injuries when he was spiked in the left leg by the Orioles’ Manny Machado last Friday.

Red Sox manager John Farrell said Pedroia would have played Tuesday against the Yankees if that game had not been rained out. However, Farrell said Pedroia woke up Wednesday with “lingering symptoms” of soreness, and the wet conditions also played a factor in keeping him out of the lineup.

“After missing for a few days, it’s good to have him back leading off,” Farrell said. “I think what he’s done for us is set the tone at the top of the order with tough at-bats, using the whole field and just a great competitor, great defender. So the fact he’s back with us, while there’s still some residual soreness in there, he’s cleared and ready to play.”

Pedroia had been listed as day-to-day since he was seen by team doctors at Massachusetts General Hospital on Monday.

Despite Pedroia’s return, the Red Sox claimed infielder Chase d’Arnaud off waivers from the Atlanta Braves. He’s expected to join the team Friday and take over the backup utility role. Fellow utility infielders Josh Rutledge and Marco Hernandez have been pressed into more regular duty as fill-ins at third base for injured Pablo Sandoval.

To create a spot for d’Arnaud on the 40-man roster, the Red Sox transferred reliever Carson Smith to the 60-day disabled list. Smith, who is returning from Tommy John elbow surgery, recently suffered a setback and hasn’t thrown from a mound in 10-12 days, according to Farrell.