Terry Collins had come out last week and said he didn’t want to rush Yoenis Cespedes back in order to avoid worsening his hamstring’s state. The New York Mets’ manager was nothing short of right.
After blasting a double against R.A. Dickey on Thursday, during the fourth inning of the Mets vs Atlanta Braves game, the Cespedes had to abandon the terrain as he felt a pull in his hamstring injury, which has haunted him for some time and kept him out against the Washington Nationals last weekend.
He could just partake in one and a half games before suffering his injury, which will actually keep him out this time and he will be placed in the disabled list. The Mets’ team medical staff diagnosed him with a hamstring strain once Thursday’s game had concluded, according to Newsday’s Marc Craig. The report estimates Céspedes will be out for at least two weeks.
More details will be known after he undergoes an MRI on Friday, as per New York Times’ reporter James Wagner. Such bad news are also accompanied by the absence of Syndergaard, who couldn’t start Tuesday’s game thanks to a discomfort in his right biceps, and he was also told to undergo an MRI scan, as pointed out by Anthony DiComo from MLB.com.
As long as Cespedes remains out, Michael Conforto will get more chances to impress, as he’s currently undergoing a positive streak. The outfielder has a .325/.396/.650 slash line, with four home runs blasted, one double, eight runs batted in and ninr runs scored, but even after claiming such a record his own, he has only started five out of 13 games before Cespedes suffered his injury.